- "Alright, everybody, the paintball tournament will now commence shortly. Just remember the Golden Rule: Play fairly!"
- ―Aaron Heller
Great Balls of Paint is the first comic in Season 6 of Sibling Rivalries, and the 46th comic overall.
This is the first comic of 2018, ending the series's near two-year hiatus and beginning the series' revival era, which continues to the present.
The McReary siblings get into a paintball tournament, facing against Joel Gonzales and his cronies.
♥ = character's debut
♠ = character does not speak throughout comic
♣ = character is mentioned only
♦ = character appear in a speaking/non-speaking cameo only
- Patrick McReary
- Francis McReary
- Gerald McReary
- Derrick McReary
- Kate McReary
- Maureen McReary-Wilson
- Hector Wilson
McReary Siblings' Friends
- This is the first comic of the series's revival era. Not counting the unsuccessful sequel series, The Next Chapter, which ran from July to November 2017, this is the first comic that GTA Nerd has ever written since April 10 2016 (the release date of "ApRiL fOoLs DaY: wIsCoNsIn StYlE!"). GTA Nerd took an extensive break from writing from April 2016 to June 2018 due to personal reasons. TNC was written in 2017 but was quickly scrapped. Compared to the "original era" from Seasons 1-5, this era has the plots taken more seriously, and drawings are of a higher quality.
- This is the first comic of the series written with black G-2 gel pens, which became GTA Nerd's pen of preference since 2017. These pens allow drawings to appear sharper and cleaner. Prior to this comic, comics were written in cheaper pens (from multiple brands such as Bic) which worked well but gave the comics a lower quality appearance compared to now.
- Oddly enough, this was the first comic written in the month of June, and would be the last until the second half of Season 7. June seemed to have been the only month up to this point to not have comics, for no intentional reason.
- The title is a reference to the song Great Balls of Fire.
- This is the first comic to show paintballing since the Season 2 comic "Best Brother". The paintball guns have new models since their last appearance in "Like Father, Like Sons (And Daughter)" from Season 3.
- Angel Chacon, Salvador Real, and Salvador's gang do not appear in this comic.
- Starting with this comic, Aiden Wilson no longer appears in the series due to his birth being retconned and how GTA Nerd did not like the character.
- In real life, the age limit to play paintball is 10 years and older. As a result, Derrick and Kate would not have been able to participate.
- The trophy that the McReary siblings win at the end of the match is dated June 4, 2016, indicating the timeframe of the comic. As GTA Nerd has not written the SR series since April 2016, and the series is supposed to follow real life time, Season 6 will likely remain in 2016 to make up for the lost time. Season 7 did not do the same when 2019 was another year with no comics, and the season simply skipped a year and is set in 2020 alongside Seasons 8 and 9.
- James is the only one of the enemies to not have any speaking lines in this comic.
- Similarly to "Best Frenemies", Joel is shown to mock and tease Trevor again for being the weakest member of the group.